Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Week One



Week One, Dread Babies!

The Summary

 Method(s) Used: I used three methods when I did my dread locks. I used the Twist and Rip method, (which is also called the Rip and Tear method). Which involves twisting the strand of hair twice, and then ripping it down to the root until I felt it lock up. However, before I T'n'R'ed my hair, I used the back combing method, which involved taking a comb and back coming quickly nearing the middle of the root. After I finished Twisting and ripping over the back combed strands of hair, I then took a crochet needle to a few strands. Not all of them. I am basically testing the crochet method. I was never fond of totally destroying my hair, and This will do it if I over use it. 
Date Started: I started my dreadlocks on Wednesday, May 16th. 
Washing Method: I have had dreadlocks before, and the majority of the time when I would write down my washing schedule, I would do it every two days. However, I have stuck to doing it every four days, aside from washing my bangs. I left my bangs loose, so I wash them every two days. I am hoping that I can eventually wash them every two days, but for right now, when my scalp gets dry, I just run ice cold water through it. It kills the itch from dandruff, and feels refreshing anyway. 
Maintenance/Additions added: A lot of dread journeys have mentioned the way that they try to assist their locking up process. Honestly, I just use 1/2 lemon juice, 1/2 water. I don't know why I do it, but it feels like it's been doing the job, it's natural, and it can't be harming my hair. Not to mention, it gives it a soft scent of lemons, which is better than sweat from the summer any day. For maintenance, I mentioned earlier that I often have to twist and rip the ends again, but I don't mind that. I don't want to blunt the tips, because I have read that it can break the hair too much, and that it takes it longer for your hair to dry after you've washed it. Which can be hard for preventing mold and things.  As for additions, I probably made a boo boo. I dyed my hair two days after I put my dreads in. I know that you are normally suggested to dye your hair after three-four months of having your dreadlocks. I suggest doing that. It's better than ruining your hair. I'm not sure that my hair is ruined, considering I take rather good care of it. But even then...I would listen to those who have had dreads longer than I. 
Tips/Things Learned: From my past sets of dreadlocks, there have been many things that I have learned. One of them is to have patience. I can already feel the impatience creeping on me. But, my goal is to get past the four month mark, because if I can do that, then I can keep them. I also know that the phrase "It gets worse, before it gets better." Sticks to dreading your hair as well, and I hope that if you're planning on starting dreadlocks, you keep that in mind, because they will look crappy for a very very very long time! Also, another tip: When washing the shampoo/soap from your hair, in order to make sure that you got it all out to prevent from mold or smell-- rinse until you feel like you have it all out, and then RINSE AGAIN. It works wonders, and often, you get all of everything out of your hair!
Changes from first day: The point of having a dread lock journey is to see what the changes have been since the first day of dreading, right? Well. It's been almost a week (a week tomorrow~) that I've had them, and I can already feel them locking up in the middle and closer to the ends. I have had to twist and rip the majority of the ends every day, but I think over time they will lock on their own.  I know that after your first few washes, they start to decrease in appearance before they really start to lock up. I try to keep a very long time in between my first few washes, so as to give it a better chance to lock up. The roots of my hair are loose, and there at the bottom part of the back of my head, you can see that there is nothing BUT loose hair. About seven dreads came undone in the first three days. I've just decided to let them do their own thing. If they don't lock up or even begin to form any dreads in the next month or two, I'll back comb them again. 

As seemingly independent as the dreads are, there seems to be no controlling them, and part of me wonders if I really would even want to. I can't wait to see what they are going to be like. :)

Love the lovelies, Carpe Noctem 

No comments:

Post a Comment